2007-05-02

Fast Twitch -- Week 8 (Wednesday, May 2)

After my weight workout, I tested my vertical jump.
#1: 20 inches
#2: 21 inches
#3: 23.5 inches

The last time I tested my vertical leap was in 1998, when I was training in Colorado Springs with the Resident Team. Our coach,
Jonty Skinner, would test us on vertical jumping at least twice a month. I think I was averaging about 26 inches back then. As a comparison, Amy Van Dyken's vertical jump was about 20-21 inches.

This page talks about the average vertical jump distance of elite athletes. If you belong to a gym worth its salt, they probably have the vertical jump tower somewhere. Ask around.

Thursday p.m. short course at UA

600 warmup

3x2x100 :20 rest
Two of each stroke, 1 kick, 1 drill

6x15 breakouts on :45

Changed from my drag suit to my Speedo brief, then did:

10x100 on 2:00
1, 4, 7, 10 fast IM order

(:58, :55, 1:01, :53)

300 easy

50 breast timed from a watch (I swam into the wall, and the coach started the watch when I touched the wall and turned for the 50) (30.3)

100 easy
------------------------
What a difference a day makes. I felt better today, and the main set proved it, even though my legs were near the edge of failure. The goal of sets like that is to swim a time no more than six seconds off your shaved and tapered goal time. I did that for every stroke except fly (my goal there is 51).

I've been wanting to do that set for about three weeks, so I think part of the reason I did so well was because I finally got to do it. I won't do it again in this training phase, but it gave me a good idea of what is tired now and how my racing strategies can work.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?