2007-04-15

Fast Twitch -- End of Week 5 or start of week 6?

Saturday I decided not to swim. This is why I'm not good at training alone. I can easily talk myself out of anything. Instead, I went to watch two high school plays. Much more fun than swimming.

Today, I went to Catalina Pool, which is next door to a high school. It's a city pool, which meant the water temperature is never colder than 82, there are no backstroke flags and the lap swimmers are very particular about having the water be nice and calm. Luckily, no one objected to my workout.

Sunday noon short course (!!!)

600 warmup

12x50 on 1:00
25 drill/25 swim, three of each stroke

8x15 breakouts on :45

Two rounds of a fast 100, broken by 25s and an easy 200 between rounds
#1 breast (1:01)
#2 free (:50-:53; I might have taken a second or so more rest on this round, based on what I saw on the clock)

100 easy

6x50 free on 1:00
Odd: breathe every 5
Even: breathe every 7

5x20 sprint from a dive on 2:00
1 fly, 2 breast, 2 free

100 easy
-------------------
The goal of that broken 100 set is to be between 4-5 seconds slower than your normal in-season time from a dive. Given that the first 25 is from a push, not from a dive, and the drag suit I was wearing, it's a great way to test out the race pace for the last three 25s of a 100.

The wind was blowing very hard and that had some effect on me.

I was very, very happy that they let me use the starting block. Sprinters should do a good deal of starts leading up to the taper meet, swimming to the 20-yard/20-meter mark. The first 20 yards of a short-course 100-yard race are extremely important. They set up the tone of the race. The stroke rate in these first 20 yards should be a teeny bit faster than the rest of the race. My starts felt pretty good. My freestyle start needs to be shallower, though.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?