2007-03-26

Fast Twitch -- Week 3 (Monday, March 26)

One of my former college teammates, Matt Hooper, swam a 1:56 in the 200 back at a meet in Houston last weekend. He has now thrown down the gauntlet for the event. Last year I went 1:55.2 and was the top-ranked swimmer in that event in the 30-34 age group, and he e-mailed me about it, saying that if he knew I had gone that fast, he would have swum his 200 back faster last year. It goes to show that you can't assume that the winning time at nationals is automatically the top time in your age group. Sometimes there's someone who swims in a small meet and the results don't get published and all of a sudden you're knocked down a place further than you thought.

I'm swimming the 200 back in the Arizona Masters State Championships at the Brophy College Prep pool this coming weekend. My focus for the meet was going to be the 100 free and 50 breast. Now it's the 100 free, 50 breast and 200 back. I thought a lot about the event during tonight's workout.

Also, Matt and I raced a 200 back my senior year at a meet at Texas A&M, before their new pool was built. He beat me by about a second, which I attribute to his ability to do proper dolphin kicks off every wall. (I went a 1:51, though, which I was extremely pleased about and was the topic of conversation for a couple of days after the meet.)

Monday p.m. long course

400 warmup

8x50 on 1:15 -- odds fly kick on back, evens fly drill


12x100 on 1:50
1-4: 25 fly drill/25 fly swim/50 free
5-8: 50 back/50 free
9-12: 25 fly drill/25 fly swim/50 back

50 easy


Rack work: 3 fly sprints, 3 back sprints
1&2 sprint to 15 meters, 3 sprint to 25 meters
(I didn't fill the buckets as high as usual.)

400 easy






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?